Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Week 1: Need to get an Early Start


I'm a slight zombie again at work. I'm thinking that I need to go back to doing my workouts in the early morning instead of the late evening jaunts I've been doing. I don't think it helped either that I drank a mug of green tea before bed. I knew it wasn't a good idea but down the chute it went anyway! I'll have to buy some chamomile tea this evening.

I've never been much of a morning person. My idea of a morning person is someone who can internally hear the Beatles as they rise ever so gracefully out of bed and everything living thing greats them with a smile and a "how do you do?". Kind of cartoon-ish like, huh? I'm thinking of the Bambi (Disney) atmosphere. haha

I read this article this morning about how to get a better night's sleep and how to feel more awake in the morning. Some of the things they mention is drinking chamomile before going to bed, putting dim lighting in your bedroom to create a calming atmosphere, and playing soft music to set the mood as you slide into slumber. Of course, it helps to go to bed early. They also said it was best to wake up to music instead of a fiesty, loud buzzing alarm clock because it's jostles the nerves and makes one anxious. You want to spend a couple minutes in bed just stretching your legs and your arms, your toes and hands...just like a cat does when it wakes up. Then slowly rise out of bed.

I think I'm going to employ the methods to see if they work for me. I'm determined to become an early riser so I won't be so grumpy as I'm fighting traffic to work and getting early morning tasks out of the way at my desk. Tonight, I'm going to go to bed early. Early for me is about 9:30 pm.

Since I ran 3 miles last night, this evening I get to do an easy workout on the elliptical and the bike. I'll probably throw in some leg strengthening exercises.

Today at lunch, the co-workers and I walked around the block for 30 min. The conversation was not as colorful as it usually is. I think we're all just either tired or feeling some kind of stress.

3 comments:

Deene said...

Beatles? haha. i'm a beatles dissing morning person. 5 am every day and in bed at 9 pm. over the weekend when i had a couple of very late nights i actually over slept to 7:51, i felt crappy all day feeling like i wasted 3 hours of my life.

J~Mom said...

Hi! Love the new site!! What are your plans for races? Despite all of my whining I am in for the full next year!

lollybot said...

Whoa, 5 am! I give you kudos solely on that! Come on...you gotta love just one Beatle song??

JMom - I've put up some of the races I'll be doing this year. :) I'm excited you are going all in for the FULL next year (PFC)! So am I!! Let's do this!!!!