Monday, January 14, 2008

Week 1: Running Off the Mutton


I was proud of myself today because I was right on target with my intake of calories according to my SparkPeople Nutrition Tracker. That is, until we were invited to have dinner at my husband's uncle's house. The dinner had been scheduled during the weekend but it was not until this evening when I picked up the hubby from work that he told me we were going to have mutton for dinner.

Mutton(!high pitch girl scream here)!!

This is practically a holy word amongst Navajos. The feasting of mutton is a sacred rite itself for a city Indian. Boy, oh, boy were we stoked! I knew right then and there that my diet for the day was over. I couldn't say no to "more mutton, please!" I out ate my husband this morning with my share of juicy mutton ribs and meat. To top it off, the mutton was nestled inside warm frybread and grilled green chili peppers. Rez delicacy. Yum.

After I gobbled up my share, I knew immediately that I'd have to do some cardio to undo some of the damage. Earlier today at work, I briskly walked for about 26 minutes with my co-workers so at least part of my exercise quota was fulfilled.

An hour after I let my dinner settle, I went to the gym at our complex. I was only able to get in a good twenty minutes because the darn thing closes at 11pm. I've been doing great with my nutrition tracker and exercise since joining SparkPeople last week. Week one of marathon training is going smoothly. I'm taking this nice and slow.

Today's Numbers:
10 min - Recumbent bike
8 min - Running @ 12:45 pace
2 min - Elliptical Trainer

26 min - Walking @ 17:00 pace
______________________
Total = 46 min cardio


1 comment:

Phil said...

Great to have you blogging again Carmen. Best of luck on your marathon training.