Sunday, March 30, 2008

12 under my belt

Total Mileage: 12 miles
Average: 12:04 min/mile

I truly rock!!

I ran this morning's long run of 12 miles with little difficulty. And though some of it may be attributed to the fact that I woke up earlier and started at 7:00 am instead of 9:30 am, I definitely felt stronger and more positive.

The Arizona Dragon Boat Festival
was in full swing this morning at Tempe Town Lake and added a bit more visual excitement to my running atmosphere. I even ran into my buddy who was also running 12 miles for the morning. She is a part of a relay team from the Salt River Maricopa Pima Indian Community that will be competing in the Ironman here in Arizona and she's doing the marathon portion. That's only two weeks away! We were running in different directions so I'd meet her twice around the lake. Nice having someone else there.

I have taken to running and walking for approximately 3 miles in the beginning of my runs to help with warming up my legs, particularly my calves. I THINK I may be developing medial shin splints on my left leg. It's a bit of a stinging sensation but not too much that it's annoying. After 3 miles, the pain goes away and I can run normally.

On Thursday evening, I ran at the lake with a friend/co-worker and asked her what her shin splints felt like as she was telling me she had them in high school when she ran cross country. I asked if her lower legs ever felt like they got weak as the miles dragged on in a run to the point that it felt like her legs were going to give way and cave in. She said she had felt that way so I think I definitely have a case of this on my hands.

I don't know what else to do other than icing, massaging, and strength training. So I've been doing the walking breaks a lot more. Not a bad thing at all because I'm able to get through my runs without needing a stretcher.

For 12 miles, Garmin says it took 2:25:00 but I stopped the clock during my long stretch breaks and water refueling breaks. There were only 3 of these. I'm more interested in seeing my mile times than my overall time since the whole goal of running the marathon is just to finish. But if I were to add these in - I'd have to add about 12 minutes to my time.

My Lap Times:
1 mi - 12:32
2 mi- 11:58
3 mi- 12:21
4 mi- 11:45
5 mi- 12:18
6 mi- 12:04
7 mi- 11:45
8 mi- 12:39
9 mi- 12:16
10 mi- 11:31
11 mi- 11:48
12 mi- 12:04

Week 7 of Marathon Training completed!

P.S.
Finally bought a couple new iTunes.
  1. An Honest Mistake - The Bravery (An old running favorite from 2005)

  2. Holiday in Cambodia - The Dead Kennedys (From playing too much Guitar Hero 3)

  3. I Feel It All - Feist (All about the steady melody)

  4. Barracuda - Heart (Another GH3 favorite)

  5. Touchdown, Turnaround - hellogoodbye (I needed something 'poppy' and guilty pleasure-ish! :P)

  6. Alec Eiffel - Pixies (this is the jam!!!)

  7. Send Me an Angel - Real Life (I'm an 80's music lush and my favorite hangout always plays this song.)

  8. Anarchy in the U.K. - The Sex Pistols (I think GH3 is a problem. lol)

  9. Someday - The Strokes (Hear this on the radio all the time.)

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

Congrats!! What an awesome run! I wish I could hold my splits up that long for 12 miles! YOU ROCK!!

MNFirefly said...

Nice job, Carmen!

E said...

Awesome job on the 12 miler! Keep up the great work!

*jen* said...

Kudos! That is fantastic! To answer your question, I am thinking about doing the Marine Corps Marathon. I need to have my mind made up by April 30th, when online registration opens. Thanks for checking my blog out. Keep kicking butt with your training!