Sunday, June 29, 2008

Peeking Out From Behind My Curtain

Where has this girl gone for nearly two months? Holy moly!

I think I had reached a point where I was just too "blaaahhhhgg-ed out"...although, I did miss all of my running blog friends. I have been running here and there. Unfortunately, I did not run the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon earlier in the month. Lame excuses abound but really I didn't feel ready and finances had me strapped at the wallet. I do have my eyes on Portland or Seattle later this year though. Must do the 26.2 while I'm still 26! I turn 27 next January.

My goal for the summer was to quicken my pace. I tired of the marathon training...running at marathon pace almost all the time. I felt so sluggish and slow. My new quest for faster gazelle speeds has re-invigorated my workouts. Just in the course of two months, I've decreased my average pace from 12:00 to 11:00 min/mile. Right now, I think I'm running at somewhere between 10:45 to 10:50 a mile. My goal at the end of the summer is to get down to the 10:00 point. This is where I'm most comfortable. After the marathon, I'm going to push every further for those elusive 9:00s.

My other selfish goal for picking up the pace is to burn more fat. I need to slim down in time for my first wedding anniversary at the end of August. How fast that time has come around! We were going to run off to the Oregon Coast again...or even Las Vegas but we've reasoned to be practical and just enjoy a day at a local spa (maybe in Scottsdale) and have a really nice dinner. Saves on money and enables us to have a smaller carbon footprint.

I just came back from work-related travel to Billings, MT last week and had a chance to go to Yellowstone National Park. Wyoming is soooo beautiful!! I loved it! And this Arizona desert rat was able to walk atop snow and actually fall in!

5 comments:

E said...

I was wondering how you were doing! You could always do the Tuscon marathon in December too. :)

J~Mom said...

Thanks for the updates!!I am with you on trying to get faster although I don't know if I will ever crack the 9s. :>)

Dubs said...

Looks like fun!!

Glad to hear you are doing well! What are your training plans? Are you going to hit the track, do some fartlik? Congrats on knocking down the pace so quickly!

The Massage & Esthetics Studio said...

Hi Carmen! I came across your post. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary! My anniversary is in August, too. We like to travel to celebrate, but will probably be staying in town this year, as well. I am also a small business owner- I own a day spa in Scottsdale. Please check it our- we have some fun treatments!
www.themassagestudio.com

MNFirefly said...

Welcome back!